The COVID 19 lockdown drags on

I feel bad. Last night I heard the news that Uganda was going to remain closed...locked down. A large number of people unable to work for 14 more days I had heard the story of a widow with 6 children boiling stones in a pot...hoping her children would fall asleep waiting, anticipating dinner. I have heard the worst stories over the past month. Women being sexually abused by the men sent to deliver relief food. Women forced to sleep with landlords in exchange for rent that has gone unpaid. A man that was beaten to death by a gang because he tried to steal sweet potatoes from a garden. He was hungry. So many stories of hunger. And government officials who have been given recourses meant for the poor...yet taken. It all breaks my heart. At some point, you wonder how they can take any more. And I am so frustrated. Food and rent do not last. I want to raise funds for land. I want to invest in a school that will train generations. This present crisis makes me want to pull my hair out. I am so angry about this situation. and I feel so much grief for the people. They do not really expect the government to save them. They just want the chance to work. You may think the poor are lazy, but most are not lazy. It takes a great deal of courage to try when it seems everything is working against you. Jesus taught us to pray for our daily bread. I cry with gratitude. Our women have been held up by the generosity of so many of you. They have not been left alone. none of them have been forced to sleep with landlords to pay for rent, or have had to boil stones to pacify their crying children. On the one hand, I grieve for Uganda and all of East Africa. But on the other hand, I am so grateful that the women I love so dearly are being cared for. I pray this lockdown would end. https://www.teenmopsuganda.com/

Comments