No gloves no service, or highlighting the needs of the very poor



Tonight I was highlighting my hair.  I decided to try Age perfect by Loreal.  It does not cover your hair, instead, it just highlights the hair.  I am almost 57 years old.  And I guess I can continue to color my hair forever, but the grey seems to grow in faster and faster.  At some point, you need to accept the inevitable.  Since grey is the new black, I think now is my time to embrace my advancing years.  In the package of this hair coloring was two sets of rubber gloves.  As I sat the 10 minutes it takes to highlight my hair I thought of a story Sylvia told me this week.
She was in the hospital because one of her sisters was giving birth.  And you see many tragic things in a poor hospital in Uganda. A Poor women dressed in dirty rages entered the hospital maternity ward.  She was in labor.  And she was screaming in pain.  A midwife came to attend to her.   In Uganda, you have to provide your own birthing equipment.  The women had what they call a birthing kit.  But in the kit were only one pair of rubber gloves.  I thought of this story because my hair coloring kit had two sets of gloves and I only needed one set.  But the midwife told this desperate woman she needed at least 10 pairs of gloves, or she would not receive help.  And the midwife walked away and left this woman alone.  The women crawled into an empty bed, that had no sheets.  She eventually delivered her child alone.  She wrapped it in a rag as soon as she could  And she walked out of the hospital into the dark lonely night.   The midwife refused to care for this women because she only brought one set of gloves.  I really don't know why I am telling you this story.  Maybe it is just important for all of us to be aware of how the world really is for so many women.  I highlight my hair, and have an extra pair of gloves I do not need.  And in Kampala, a woman who needed someone to help her was denied care because she did not have 50 cents worth of gloves.  She is living on the streets with a newborn baby.   God be with her. Dear God,   I pray you will show her compassion.  She may feel alone, but you know her God.  Protect her and provide for her. 

Comments